The purpose of this site is to provide resources for scholars wanting to do research on pornography. The greatest challenge for such research is to identify the data sets and empirical strategies that:
- estimate the causal impact of pornography on various outcomes;
- establish basic facts about pornography use, attitudes towards pornography, and the size of the pornography industry.
We hope to facilitate this research by providing:
- links to past and current research;
- description of credible empirical strategies;
- data sets to conduct original research.
In reporting on past studies, we are particularly interested in compiling the data and code used to conduct these studies. This will allow future researchers to replicate and build on this past research.
We are also trying to document the pornography related statistics that get quoted in the media. When possible, we will try to provide the raw data that underlie these statistics. This will allow researchers to build off of a common core of data when engaging in policy debates about pornography.