Joseph PriceAssociate Professor
Department of Economics
Brigham Young University
Google Scholar Page
- “Productivity Spillovers in Team Production: Evidence from Professional Basketball” (with Peter Arcidiacono and Josh Kinsler) Journal of Labor Economics, forthcoming.
- "Habit Formation in Children: Evidence from Eating Fruits and Vegetables" Journal of Health Economics, forthcoming.
- “Sticking with What (Barely) Worked" (with Lars Lefgren and Brennan Platt) Management Science, forthcoming.
- “Using Incentives to Encourage Healthy Eating in Children" (with David Just) Journal of Human Resources, 2013.
- “Default Options and Food Choices" (with David Just) Public Health and Nutrition, 2013.
- “Pay-to-Bid Auctions" (with Brennan Platt and Henry Tappen) Management Science, 2013.
- “Selection and the Marriage Premium for Infant Health" (with Kasey Buckles) Demography, 2013.
- “Gender Differences in Repeated Competition” (with Chris Cotton and Frank McIntyre) Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 2013.
- “Interracial Workplace Cooperation: Evidence from the NBA.” (with Lars Lefgren and Henry Tappen) Economic Inquiry, 2012.
- “Changing the Price of Marriage” (with Kasey Buckles and Melanie Guldi) Journal of Human Resources, 2011. [data and do files] [media link]
- “Racial Discrimination Among NBA Referees" (with Justin Wolfers) Quarterly Journal of Economics, 2011. [executive summary] [additional materials] [media links] [data and do files]
- “Patient Education and the Response to New Medical Research" (with Kosali Simon) Journal of Health Economics, 2009.
- “Parent-Child Quality Time: Does Birth Order Matter?” Journal of Human Resources, 2008. [media links] [data and do files]
- “Gender Differences in the Response to Competition” Industrial and Labor Relations Review, 2008.
- "Documenting Pornography Use in America: A Comparative Analysis of Methodogical Approaches" (with Mark Regnerus and David Gordon) Journal of Sex Research, forthcoming
- "Maternal Employment and Mother-Child Interaction" (with Frank Heiland and Riley Wilson) Review of Economics of the Household, forthcoming.
- "Impact of fruit smoothies on adolescent fruit and milk consumption during school breakfast" (with Dylan Bates) Health Education & Behavior, forthcoming
- "How Much More XXX is Generation X Using? Evidence of Changing Attitudes and Behaviors Related to Pornography Since 1973" (with Richard Patterson, Mark Regnerus and Jacob Walley) Journal of Sex Research, forthcoming.
- "Which Staes Uses the Most Porn?: Reconciling Evidence from Different Datasets" (with Michael Gmeiner and Michael Worley) Cyberpsychology, forthcoming.
- "Consumer Reactions to Drug Information: Response to FDA Warnings on Antidepressants" (with Kristy Parkinson, Kosali Simon, and Sharon Tennyson) Review of Economics and the Household, forthcoming.
- "Day/Night Differences in the Effect of Travel and Time Zones: Evidence from the NBA" (with Andrew Nutting) Journal of Sports Economics, forthcoming.
- "Which Explanations for Gender Differences in Competition are Consistent with a Simple Theoretical Model?" (with Christopher Cotton, Cheng Li, and Frank McIntyre) Journal of Behavioral & Experimental Economics, 2015.
- "Lunch Recess and Nutrition: Responding to Time Incentives in the Cafeteria" (with David Just) Prevention Medicine, 2015.
- "Right-Oriented Bias: A Comment on Roskes, Slighte, Shalvi, and De Dreu" (with Justin Wolfers) Psychological Science, 2014.
- “What Matters in Movie Ratings? Cross-country Differences in which Content Influence Mature Movie Ratings” (with Doug Gentile and Craig Palsson) Journal of Children and Media, 2014.
- “Pornography and Marriage” (with Kirk Doran) Journal of Family and Economic Issues, 2014.
- "Technological change, relative worker productivity, and firm-level subsitution: Evidence from the NBA" (with Grant Gannaway, Craig Palsson, and David Sims) Journal of Sports Economics, 2014
- "The Impact of Religion on Youth Outcomes" (with Bryson Pope and Dean Lillard) Journal of Business Inquiry, 2014.
- "Rating and Movie Revenues: Evidence from Movie Ratings" Contemporary Economic Policy, 2013.
- "Nontraditional Families and Childhood Progress through School: A Comment on Rosenfeld" (with Douglas Allen, Catherine Pakaluk) Demography, 2013.
- “Taxing the Opposition: Cactus League Attendance and the Efficiency of the Cubs Tax” (with Michael Davis and Craig Palsson) International Journal of Sports Finance, 2013.
- “Behavioral Economics and the Psychology of Fruit and Vegetable Consumption" (with Jason Riis) Journal of Food Studies, 2012.
- “The Role of Variety in Increasing the Consumption of Fruits and Vegetables Among Children” (with David Just and Jesse Lund) Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, 2012.
- “Within-Family Variation in Obesity" (with Jeffrey Swigert) Economics & Human Biology, 2012.
- “Ratings and Movie Revenues: Evidence from Movie Ratings” (with Craig Palsson and Jared Shores) Contemporary Economic Policy, 2012.
- “Using Natural Experiments to Study the Impact of Media on the Family” (with Gordon Dahl) Family Relations, 2012.
- “Pornography, Religion, and the Happiness Gap: Does Pornography Affect the Actively Religious Differently.” (with Rich Patterson) Journal of the Scientific Study of Religion, 2012.
- “Biased Referees?: Reconciling Results with the NBA’s Analysis” (with Justin Wolfers) Contemporary Economic Policy, 2011.
- “Sub-Perfect Game: Profitable Biases of NBA Referees.” (with Marc Remer and Dan Stone) Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, 2012. [media link]
- “Educational Gaps in Medical Care and Health Behavior: Evidence from Natality Data.” (with Josh Price and Kosali Simon) Economics of Education Review, 2011.
- “Is it Just about Love?: Factors that Influence Marriage.” Research Handbook on the Economics of Family Law, Edward Elgar Publishing, 2011.
- "High School Sports and Teenage Births" (with Daniel Simon) The Economics of Sports, Health, and Happiness: The Promotion of Well-Being through Sporting Activities, 2011.
- “Performance under Pressure in the NBA” (with Zheng Cao and Dan Stone) Journal of Sports Economics, 2011. [media link]
- “Beyond Employment and Income: The Association between Young Adults' Finances and Marital Timing” (with Jeffrey Dew) Journal of Family and Economic Issues, 2011.
- “Tournament Incentives, League Policy, and NBA Team Performance Revisited" (with Brian Soebbing, David Berri, and Brad Humphreys) Journal of Sports Economics, 2011.
- "Tournament Incentives, League Policy, and NBA Team Performance Revisited" (with Brian Soebbing, David Berri, and Brad Humphreys) Journal of Sports Economics, 2010.
- “The Time Use of Teenagers" (with Vanessa Wight, Suzanne Bianchi, and Bijou Hunt) Social Science Research, 2009.
- "Racial Bias in the NBA: Implications in Betting Markets" Journal of the Quantitative Analysis of Sports, 2008.
- "Inside the Black Box of Doctoral Education" Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis, 2007.
Under Review or Revise-Resubmit
- “Awareness Reduces Racial Bias” (with Devin Pope and Justin Wolfers)
- "Affirmative Action and Human Capital Investment: Evidence from a Randomized Field Experiment” (with Chris Cotton and Brent Hickman)
- "Slowing the Hare: Quick Finishers and Class Performance on Standardized Tests"
- "The Effect of Parental Time Investments: Evidence from Natural Within-Family Variation" (with Ariel Kalil)
- “Default Options and Healthy Food Choices at Fast Food Chains” (with Jason Riis)
- "Prejudice as a Source of Health Disparities" (with Jacob Orchard)
- "Moving up the Ticket: How does Information Affect the Beauty Premium in United States Political Election?" (with Todd Jones)
- "Status Quo Bias in Ballot Wording" (with Michael Barber, David Gordon, and Ryan Hill)
- "Outcome Based Accountability: Theory and Evidence" (with Lars Lefgren and Brennan Platt)
- "The Poverty-Reducing Role of Marriage: Evidence from an Instrumental Variable Approach" (with Briggs Depew)
- "Leaning Back: Experimental Evidence on Cooperation in Mixed-Gender Teams" (with Olga Stoddard)
- "Family Structure and Lifetime Economic Outcomes" (with Robert Lerman and Brad Wilcox)
- "Correcting for Bias in Hot Hand Analysis: Performance Streaks in Youth Golf Tournaments" (with Chris Cotton and Frank McIntyre)
- "This Number of Children Being Raised by Gay or Lesbian Parents" (with Corbin Miller)