Joseph PriceAssociate Professor
Department of Economics
Brigham Young University
Google Scholar Page
- “Sticking with What (Barely) Worked" (with Lars Lefgren and Brennan Platt) Management Science, forthcoming.
- “Using Incentives to Encourage Healthy Eating in Children" (with David Just) Journal of Human Resources, forthcoming.
- “Default Options and Food Choices" (with David Just) Public Health and Nutrition, forthcoming.
- “Pay-to-Bid Auctions" (with Brennan Platt and Henry Tappen) Management Science, forthcoming.
- “Selection and the Marriage Premium for Infant Health" (with Kasey Buckles) Demography, forthcoming.
- “Gender Differences in Repeated Competition” (with Chris Cotton and Frank McIntyre) Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 2013.
- “Interracial Workplace Cooperation: Evidence from the NBA.” (with Lars Lefgren and Henry Tappen) Economic Inquiry, 2012.
- “Changing the Price of Marriage” (with Kasey Buckles and Melanie Guldi) Journal of Human Resources, 2011. [data and do files] [media link]
- “Racial Discrimination Among NBA Referees" (with Justin Wolfers) Quarterly Journal of Economics, 2011. [executive summary] [additional materials] [media links] [data and do files]
- “Patient Education and the Response to New Medical Research" (with Kosali Simon) Journal of Health Economics, 2009.
- “Parent-Child Quality Time: Does Birth Order Matter?” Journal of Human Resources, 2008. [media links] [data and do files]
- “Gender Differences in the Response to Competition” Industrial and Labor Relations Review, 2008.
- “Consumer Reactions to Drug Information: Response to FDA Warnings on Antidepressants” (with Kristy Parkinson, Kosali Simon, and Sharon Tennyson) Review of Economics and the Household, forthcoming.
- “Taxing the Opposition: Cactus League Attendance and the Efficiency of the Cubs Tax” (with Michael Davis and Craig Palsson) International Journal of Sports Finance, forthcoming.
- “What Matters in Movie Ratings? Cross-country Differences in which Content Influence Mature Movie Ratings” (with Doug Gentile and Craig Palsson) Journal of Children and Media, forthcoming.
- “Pornography and Marriage” (with Kirk Doran) Journal of Family and Economic Issues, forthcoming.
- “Behavioral Economics and the Psychology of Fruit and Vegetable Consumption" (with Jason Riis) Journal of Food Studies, 2012.
- “The Role of Variety in Increasing the Consumption of Fruits and Vegetables Among Children” (with David Just and Jesse Lund) Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, 2012.
- “Within-Family Variation in Obesity" (with Jeffrey Swigert) Economics & Human Biology, 2012.
- “Ratings and Movie Revenues: Evidence from Movie Ratings” (with Craig Palsson and Jared Shores) Contemporary Economic Policy, 2012.
- “Using Natural Experiments to Study the Impact of Media on the Family” (with Gordon Dahl) Family Relations, 2012.
- “Pornography, Religion, and the Happiness Gap: Does Pornography Affect the Actively Religious Differently.” (with Rich Patterson) Journal of the Scientific Study of Religion, 2012.
- “Biased Referees?: Reconciling Results with the NBA’s Analysis” (with Justin Wolfers) Contemporary Economic Policy, 2011.
- “Sub-Perfect Game: Profitable Biases of NBA Referees.” (with Marc Remer and Dan Stone) Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, 2012. [media link]
- “Educational Gaps in Medical Care and Health Behavior: Evidence from Natality Data.” (with Josh Price and Kosali Simon) Economics of Education Review, 2011.
- “Is it Just about Love?: Factors that Influence Marriage.” Research Handbook on the Economics of Family Law, Edward Elgar Publishing, 2011.
- “Performance under Pressure in the NBA” (with Zheng Cao and Dan Stone) Journal of Sports Economics, 2011. [media link]
- “Beyond Employment and Income: The Association between Young Adults' Finances and Marital Timing” (with Jeffrey Dew) Journal of Family and Economic Issues, 2011.
- “Tournament Incentives, League Policy, and NBA Team Performance Revisited" (with Brian Soebbing, David Berri, and Brad Humphreys) Journal of Sports Economics, 2011.
- “The Time Use of Teenagers" (with Vanessa Wight, Suzanne Bianchi, and Bijou Hunt) Social Science Research, 2009.
Under Review or Revise-Resubmit
- “Habit formation in Children: Evidence from Eating Fruits and Vegetables” (with George Loewenstein and Kevin Volpp)
- “Lunch, Recess, and Nutrition: Responding to Time Incentives in the Cafeteria” (with David Just)
- “Awareness Reduces Racial Bias” (with Devin Pope and Justin Wolfers)
- “Impact of Fruit Smoothies on Adolescent Fruit and Milk Consumption During School Breakfast” (wih Dylan Bates)
- “Productivity Spillovers in Team Production: Evidence from Professional Basketball” (with Peter Arcidiacono and Josh Kinsler)
- “Technological Change, Relative Worker Productivity, and Firm-level Substitution: Evidence from the NBA” (with Grant Gannaway, Craig Palsson, and David Sims)
- “Maternal Employment and Mother-Child Interaction” (with Frank Heiland and Riley Wilson)
- “The Effect of Parental Time Investments: Evidence from Natural Within-Family Variation” (with Ariel Kalil)
- "Causes of Gender Differences in Competition: Theory and Evidence” (with Chris Cotton and Frank McIntyre)
- “The Number of Children Being Raised by Gay or Lesbian Parents” (with Ryan Hill and Corbin Miller)
- “How Much More XXX is Generation X Using?” (with Rich Patterson and Mark Regnerus)
- “The Effect of Teenage Childbearing on Adult Civic Engagement” (with Reggie Covington, Liz Peters, and Joseph Sabia)